Friday 24 February 2012

News from the hive(s)

We have my sister in law`s wedding tomorrow in Casablanca and so I`ve been a bit of a busy bee.  While all my SiLs (I have five) will be there with their glamorous up-dos, I`ve rebelled and had my hair cut quite short. Eyebrows have been tamed and broken splintered nails are now smooth and...um...pink?  Zaki said he didn`t like them (and I kind of have to agree with him) and would have preferred blue or green. They may have to undergo a make-under colourwise before tomorrow.

Anyway, I thought I should talk to you about bees. I am now in 4 although I can only talk to you about 3 of them as the fourth launches in March and until then I have to keep schtum.

As you know, I`m in the Care circle of do.Good Stitches - an international circle of lovely ladies who make for a cause close to the queen bee.  This month was the turn of Dolores (A Labour of Love) who asked for green and white sawtooth star blocks.  They will be made up in to a quilt for a family who have lost their mum. She was only 37. You can read about it here.



...and at the beginning of the month I signed up to a new bee, We Bee Modern Too - the second hive for a bee making blocks from the book Modern Blocks set up by Megan of City Stitches. You`ll have to wait until October to see which block I choose. This month was the turn of Kersten (Frozen Knickers) who chose the Missing Your Kiss block by Sew Take a Hike.  She asked us to use our stash and use a bright border.  I chose a mostly citrus-y palette. This block was fun to make and the opal fruit colours are new for me.


I`m also in the 1st quarter of the 4x5 Modern Bee and have kept my colours of orange, purple and grey. Every quarter you change hives and so you are always with new people.  I received some lovely blocks last quarter (I must show you a group photo) and it looks like it`s going to be just as good in this one.  Look at these Union Jack blocks made by Cathy.  Aren`t they great? I`ve still to come up with the block I`ll be making but I have until April to get it done so it`s lower down on the list of must-dos at the moment!

The last bee is? More next month.  For now? ZIP.

Have a great weekend - tomorrow is going to be a late night.  Moroccan weddings start late and go on all night. I promise to tell you all about it when we`re back.  For now, play it again Sam!

13 comments:

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

Love your blocks! Have a great time at the wedding!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Have fun, pink nails an'all!

Katy Cameron said...

Have a blast, but don't forget to tell Sam to play it again... ;o)

Ellie said...

Have a great time at the wedding - I can't wait to hear all about it.

Cherie said...

Love the colours and how the blocks look together.
Hope you have a great time at the wedding. =D

Leanne said...

You live in a movie or a song or both, Casablanca, Marrakech. Have a great time and those are lovely blocks for your bees.

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a wonderful time today, Casablanca sounds just so exotic. Love your blocks especially the Missing your kiss, fabulous!

Helen in Switzerland said...

Have fun! I bet you'll look dead glam, pink nails and all!

linda said...

enjoy sounds fun !!

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

I love that missing your kiss block. I had not seen that one before.
I'm excited for next week to see photos of the wedding. Have fun.

Beccy said...

what a sad story behind your first block.
Hope you have a great time at the wedding

Catherine said...

Anabella - the comment that was left by Beccy (one before) was actually me-she had signed in on google account and kicked me off without realising!

Anonymous said...

busy lady! Love the x block. You did a fantastic job!