Sunday 8 January 2012

A January Finish!

It`s been a week since I last posted! With still not feeling 100% and a visit last week to the Midlands to see family and friends, I am still hopelessly behind with emails and blog reading.  I promise to do better although I think I said that last week.

I do have a finish.  The first of the year.  I calculated that last year, I made 5 quilts - yes, five!  I finished Zaki`s quilt, made a quilt for Elicia, the Across the Seas quilt for Mr. LRP and me, the Marrakech Rose quilt and the Red City quilt.  In my book that`s quite good considering that I didn`t have a machine for 6 months of the year and didn`t touch quilting for 2 months because it was too hot.

I haven`t resolved to make a certain amount of quilts this year but one a month would be nice.

I brought Baby George`s quilt top with me and basted it on Christmas Eve.  Last weekend I machine quilted it by echo quilting the crosses, keeping it light so that it was soft and snuggly for Baby George to roll on.


You may recall that when I made the top (using 1001 Peeps and a touch of Terrain) I felt it was a bit flat - a bit matchy matchy.  The hazard perhaps of using a line of fabric.  Many of you left suggestions and a couple included handstitching the crosses in a contrasting colour.  I did try this but didn`t like how it came out on the back of the quilt. Having heard much of the delights of perle cotton, I picked up some in a vibrant orange and outlined the scrappy border only going through the top layer of fabric.  It has survived a wash.  I`m hoping it will survive George and his wriggling and rolling.


I bound the quilt in a burnt orange binding, which ties in with the perle cotton.  While many of you made the brilliant suggestion of using a binding which would pick up on the chartreuse colour of the onion domes in one of the prints I liked the orange because this is a baby quilt and seemed less grown up.

I backed it in a simple green candy stripe fabric.


Now it`s ready to be handed over to Baby George later this week. It measures 41" x 41".


What are you up to on this Sunday?  For us it will be a quiet day in front of the log fire, perhaps a walk or a wallow with Zaki at the local pool, roast chicken and then curling up in front of Sherlock!

25 comments:

Jennifer Mathis of Ellison Lane said...

I love this Annabella. The colors are lovely, rich and perfect for a little boy. The orange is a nice touch. Great job!

Isisjem said...

looking good orange and teal palette one of my favourites for 2012!

Sarah Craig said...

Congrats on your first finish of the year! I love the orange binding - it gives the perfect "pop"!

Katy Cameron said...

Looks great, I'm sure it will survive George just fine :o)

Enjoy your day!

blandina said...

The orange binding is a winner, also di stitching in perlé cotton looks great.
I am slowly transforming the dining room back into my studio, it takes time especially since I do not remember where I put all the stuff!

Jan said...

It looks really good Bella. The contrast of the orange works so well with the greens and blues. I think it's such a welcome change from baby blue for boys.
Enjoy Sherlock xx
(Have just finished the last piece of THAT cake !)

Canadian Abroad said...

George is one lucky boy! I love the addition of the stitching. Did you like working with the perle?

It's Sunday so we are being lazy - other than the need to catch up on things, do the ironing, and cook a nice dinner - but all done at a leisurely pace. I hope you enjoy your chicken. Love roast chicken!!

Helen in Switzerland said...

The orange is just right! George will love it!
I think you had an amazingly productive year - especially considering that you're a new quilter and Zaki is still small.You put the rest of us to shame!!

tusen said...

Congratulations on the first finished quilt of 2012!
Great choice of binding, I like the contrast.

Anonymous said...

It is a beautiful quilt! Amazed at how many quilts you made in such a short time too - looking forwad to what you make this year.

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Great quilt - the orange stitching and binding are lovely xxx
Yep, now just passing the hours before Sherlock xxx

Leanne said...

It is beautiful! I love the stitching and binding in orange! I think a lazy Sunday sounds lovely, I am hoping to do a little quilting as opposed to piecing, but who knows how the day will go.

The Caked Crusader said...

Gorgeous quilt...we're getting ready for Sherlock too!

Julie said...

I love it! I don't mind matchy matchy when it is turquoise... one of my favorite colors :) I love the stitching too!

Debbie said...

Wonderful quilt, and I love the additions of orange!

Krista Schneider said...

Yay! Looks lovely, great choice with the orange binding. No baby wants a grown up looking quilt!

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

The quilt is perfect for George. I hope it becomes a family heirloom. I'm going to try and get some bee block sewing finished and then start something fun. I must write a blog post today...it's been too long.

pasqueflower said...

Baby George will love snuggling with his cuddly new quilt, I'm sure.

Toni said...

Excellent quilt, Annabella! Of course I love the orange binding and stitching. Congratulations on your first finish of 2012!

Catherine said...

I am still wondering if I actually understood what was going on in sherlock last week!! Its the first time I watched it and I had to keep rewinding to get what was happening!! But looking forward to watching it tonight. Roast chicken here for tea too.
Your quilt looks fab and the orange binding is perfect

ScissorsandThread said...

This is lovely, the orange stitching and binding is fab.

Cindy said...

It's absolutely beautiful! George will love it :)

Danny Heyen said...

I love it! I want to make a plus quilt! I bought some fabric for it but now I have to make it. Congrats on your first finish of the year!

Mika said...

Congratulations on the first finish! Wonderful colours! I'm working myself up to contemplate making a quilt... Looks overwhelming and rewarding!

Kate S. said...

Oo, this is great Annabella! I have a FQ bundle of these fabrics in this colorway, I may have to copy you as this works so perfectly!!