Sunday 19 June 2011

Partnership Quilts - Sailboats

Sailboats block
Today I made my block for the partnership quilts which will be made and displayed at The Tokyo Quilt Festival in 2012 and auctioned off afterward to raise money for the Japanese earthquake victims.  Ayumi is organising this through her blog Pink Penguin.

The theme this year is triangles and squares. Knowing that while sometimes cruel the ocean is so important to the Japanese, I hand pieced this 9 inch Sailboats block using this pattern.  It was my first attempt at half square triangles and I`m pleased with the points.  In fact over all, I`m pleased.  Now to get it to Japan!

Edited to add This block won`t be going to Japan after all as I realize that once the seam allowance is taken into account, it will knock the tips off the triangles.  Off to have a think.

To see more proper blocks for the partnership quilts, check out the flikr group here.