Friday 17 June 2011

A Housewarming Present

It`s been a busy week one way or another including two sets of surprise visitors.  A little like the No.11 bus, you wait for one for ages and then two come along at the same time.

After reading a post earlier this week on Lisa`s blog about David and Amy Butler`s home (check out the amazing photos of her house, especially the view from the decking), I dug out my Amy Butler Disappearing 9 patch, which I made back in February here. Inspired by clever quilter Susan over at Canadian Abroad who recently whipped up a cushion cover just like that, I thought I would try my hand at one using the disappearing 9 patch.

After attaching a 3 and a half inch border of white cotton, I first tried some hand quilting...

...and then thought better of it and machine quilted it.  Being a lazy quilter and not wanting a thousand  thread ends to hide, I did  a square spiral in each square.  The line of stitching is one continuous line until it reaches the centre of each square.  Does that make any sense? I then densely quilted the white cotton.

After backing it envelope style (a nice deep one) with some of Anna Maria Horner`s Chocolate Lollipop, which I couldn`t think of any other use for, it turned out like this...

The cushion cover back in Anna Maria Horner`s Chocolate Lollipop
I know.  It looks like a bag of spanners on one of our balcony chairs but that`s because it`s stuffed with a cardigan.  I couldn`t find a lovely plump cushion to put it on.  When I do, I`ll show you what it looks like.  Just for know, squint your eyes and use your imagination.

Whose new house is it for?  Didn`t I tell you?  We`re moving in a couple of weeks to a new place just down the road.  It`s bigger than where we are at the moment and the best news?  I`ll have my own room where I can set up and do my thing.  Woo hoo. I think that`s the best present of all! 

This is my 97th post so don`t forget to check back on Sunday or Monday for a 100th postaversary giveaway.


8 comments:

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

our pillow is really pretty and congrats on the move. How nice to have your own room for your "stuff". WhooHoo!

Helen in Switzerland said...

It most certainly doesn't look like a bag of spanners! It's lovely. Have fun moving and you will think you've died and gone to heaven when you have your own space - it's a whole new world, I can tell you!

Anonymous said...

A great cushion, perfect as a house warming present!

Catherine said...

Wow, what a lovely cushion-it looks really fresh. (and weirdly I have just posted about my disappearing 9 patch too!) Good luck with the house move, am very jealous of your new room!

Canadian Abroad said...

The pillow is gorgeous and I like the way you machine quilted it. I am also really impressed with how the envelope back has the pattern matching up on the two sides. Impressive! Thanks for the mention about me and good luck moving - one of my least favourite activities. But a room of your own - oh lucky you!

Lynn said...

Beautiful cushion that looks nothing like a bag of spanners. It is really lovely

Kala said...

I wish I could sew like you do!

SewHappyGeek said...

Oh I wish I had a whole real room to set up in - I'd be stashing sooooooo much fabric, lol! Thanks for linking up!